This one is a staple in the Ostman household. It feels indulgent, but is full of fresh ingredients, so I usually end up eating a gigantic portion without feeling heavy or gross afterwards! It is easily grain free, unless you add tortilla chips (and if you do, I suggest these). And it can be dairy free as well, without feeling like you are missing out.
Experiment with this one and let me know what your favorite ingredients are! I never skip the secret ingredient: MANGO! And I usually get rave reviews from the fam because of the mango :)
- 2 lbs grass-fed beef
- Taco Seasoning (this is enough for 2 pounds of meat)
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp paprika
- 3 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne (optional)
- 2 hearts of romaine, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can of sweet yellow corn
- 1 mango, diced (the secret ingredient!)
- Sliced black olives
- Sour cream, shredded cheese (if choosing to add dairy)
- Mix the taco seasoning in a small bowl. Brown the meat in a large skillet. Add up to 1 cup of water and taco seasoning, simmer until the water is absorbed, stirring often.
- While meat is cooking, chop the romaine and dice the veggies
- Assemble taco salad: bed of romaine, ground beef, toppings. I like to use the salsa as the "dressing".